Monday, February 21, 2011

World, meet the cookie brownie

Going through left over Valentine's candy I found some Hershey Hugs for half price.
I thought to myself, "I need to make a cookie like a peanut butter blossom but with Hugs."
And thus the quest began.

I talked with my sister-in-law, a very good baker.  I discussed things with my mom, another accomplished baker.  I glanced through allrecipes.com, checked the index in multiple cookbooks, read the suggestions on the Hugs' bag, and I thought about what I wanted.  It had to be chocolate and chewy like a brownie, but not a brownie.  I also wanted to make something from scratch - not just make a brownie mix and pretend it was a cookie.

That's when the 1963 Betty Crocker's Cooky Book came through once again.  I took old Betty's brownie recipe, made some modifications, experimented a bit, and ended up with a cookie I'm quite pleased with.  It kinda looks like a brownie and it tastes like a brownie, but it's not as crumbly, gooey or sticky as brownies can be.  So it travels like a cookie but tastes like a brownie.

Ingredients
2/3 C margarine, softened
4 Tbsp oil*
2 C + 1 Tbsp sugar
4 eggs
1 tsp vanilla
1 C + 2 tsp cocoa powder*
3 1/4 C flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
1 bag Hershey Hugs, unwrapped

Beat shortening, oil, sugar, eggs, and vanilla.
Separately mix cocoa, flour, baking powder, and salt.
Blend together.
Make small balls out of dough and place on greased baking sheet.
Bake at 350 for 8 minutes.
Place Hug in center of each cookie, softly pressing down on each one.
Allow cookie to cool on baking sheet.

*You can use 4 squares unsweetened chocolate, melted and blended with shortening.  Omit the cocoa and oil if using squares.

I hope you like it!  Let me know if you try it and enjoy it.  But don't tell me if you don't like it - I can't handle rejection.

4 comments:

Jackie said...

Hey Bonnie, They look really yummy! I will have to check and see if I have all the ingredients. Well, I would have to buy the hugs.

So I was a part of this baking challenge put on by a lady my SIL knows. It was so much fun, but then she decided she was quitting blogging and ended the contest. Anyway, since I do not have anywhere near the readership you have on your blog I wanted to throw this idea out to you. The way this lady did it is up on her blog. I would obviously suggest you use a different cookbook. It was just so fun! You could design it to be however you would like. It might even be fun to do a regular cookbook not a baking cookbook.

http://ladymodesty.com/2010/11/the-baking-challenge/

Unknown said...

sac longchamp, ray ban sunglasses, polo ralph lauren outlet, louis vuitton, longchamp pas cher, louis vuitton, longchamp outlet, jordan shoes, oakley sunglasses, prada outlet, ray ban sunglasses, nike roshe run, air max, louboutin, louis vuitton, nike outlet, replica watches, ray ban sunglasses, tiffany jewelry, air jordan pas cher, longchamp outlet, replica watches, burberry, tory burch outlet, prada handbags, kate spade outlet, nike free, uggs on sale, chanel handbags, louis vuitton outlet, oakley sunglasses, gucci outlet, michael kors, louboutin outlet, cheap oakley sunglasses, louboutin shoes, ugg boots, oakley sunglasses, nike free, nike air max, tiffany and co, christian louboutin outlet, oakley sunglasses, longchamp, ugg boots, nike air max, ralph lauren pas cher, louboutin pas cher, polo ralph lauren outlet, louis vuitton outlet

teti said...

go right here https://www.dolabuy.ru/ visit our website Louis Vuitton replica Bags see here now high end replica bags

Unknown said...

g3c84q3e46 b5d95q2j18 x4h94k7d34 e7c31r0e58 g9u65p0s02 k8r17w8u36